The Bachelor of Education in Foundation Phase Education will enable graduates to enter the teaching profession as Foundation Phase (Grade R-3) teachers in South African public and private schools. Two Oceans graduates will have both theoretical and practical skills that enable them to demonstrate their academic and professional primary school teacher abilities using their expertise in subject content, educational theories & methodologies, and pedagogical theories & methodologies. Graduates will demonstrate the ability to integrate and apply different types of knowledge and learning, understand the learner’s characteristics and learning capabilities, and adapt education accordingly.
Qualified foundation phase teachers of Two Oceans Graduate Institute will be generalist trained in the early years of study and introduced to the CAPS document for all the foundation school subjects. With progress, they will be in a position to teach a Home Language (English, Afrikaans or isiXhosa), English First Additional Language, Mathematics, and Life Skills.
Proposed Programme Commencement Date – July 2023
SAQA Number – 119211
Admission Requirements of BEd Foundation Phase
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) with matriculation exemption
- Minimum APS score of 26 excluding Life Orientation
- English ≥ 4
- First Additional Language ≥ 3
- Mathematics ≥ 2
- Mathematical Literacy ≥ 2
- NQF Level 4 National Certificate (Vocational) with endorsement for entry into Bachelor studies.
- Students who completed the NSC in 2008 or thereafter, but have not obtained endorsements, will be considered conditionally for alternative admission after the age of 23 (candidates will be required to complete a RPL portfolio development course).
- Teachers who are in possession of a recognised certificate or diploma in education or another relevant field may present their qualifications for admission towards recognition of prior learning (RPL) and the transfer of credits.
- Prospective students who have gained knowledge because of learning in the workplace and in other education settings will be granted admission in terms of the RPL Policy of the institution.
- Students who obtained a Senior Certificate before 2008 will qualify for submission if they have passed English at the higher grade with a D symbol or at the standard grade with a C symbol.
- Admission of foreign students: foreign students are requested to present all secondary and tertiary qualifications obtained in their country of origin.